Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Meet and Greet / Institute Visit / Moving In


6/14/11
So I met my host family, actually host grandmomma, and she is totally sweet. She is an older Muslim lady that loves to COOK, and supposedly her cookin is awesome. She doesn’t know it yet because we only got to talk for about 3minutes but we are going to be spending a lot of the time in the kitchen together aka me learning how to make awesomeness.
Her apartment isn’t in the nicest part of town, but I’m definitely cool with that. There is a lot of local happenings going on all around with the street venders and shop owners. It will be fun to practice my Urdu with them and begin the quest of becoming master bargainer since everything is negotiable.
After I met with my host, we went back to the hotel and a few friends asked me to walk with them to the mall again. This time, I was able to find some helpful material to assist in my learning… KIDS MOVIES!! Haha. They are in Hindi with English subtitles. Even though I’m studying Urdu, the only glaring difference is in the script. Orally, Hindi and Urdu are essentially the same. I got a lot of weird looks from a little kid who was also looking around in the Kid’s movie sections but I don’t care. I get so many stares and looks with my long blonde hair that I’m used to the awkward attention now. 

6/15/11
Today we had orientation at the institute. Finally, the last orientation I’ll have to sit in here. Of the 20 of us here, 8 will be in my beginning class. After lunch, we get to move in with our host families and then regular classes begin tomorrow. My biggest fear is that I have no idea where the institute is and where my host g-momma lives. Haha. The taxi drivers have been driving us around under the direction of people from the institute, but hopefully I figure it out pretty quickly. Tomorrow morning will be my first test, getting to school so I’ll write something about that because I’m sure it’s going to be an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment